Monday, June 1, 2009

To Drain or Not To Drain?

Here I stand, at the portals of my most crucial stage of education,without a clue in the world...
Yet already I am bombarded with questions like "are you going to foreign"(lord give me strength...)?



Soooo,am I going to foreign?Aaaaah, that immortal question plaguing the minds of several great thinkers of our times(read thaatha, paati, mama,mami,chithi,etc,etc).My first thought on encountering this bamboozling question is to yell back.."NONE OF YOUR BEESWAX SO TOUGH!"(highly polished version..keeping in mind my new society-friendly ideologies..).But then again, they are all just concerned, caring people who wish me well.

So,being the thoughtful,lissome young lad that I am,I decided to give it a thought..though as of now I'm in absolutely no position to...


Somewhere in Anna Nagar, an eager pair of ears awaits the verdict(Kanti ma'am..this means you!).Of course,being the master blogsman that I am,I just have to keep you in suspense.Then again you could just go to the end of the page and see what I've finally decided...what a waste of cyberspace...

Mostly people tell me I should stay as my country has given a lot for me.Some say I paid for those services and then some.Also I am stealing country's resources if I go...but I paid for them and then some!!Also I will replenish them when I'm stinking rich(likely....).
There's always a firangi hater in the advisory committee...."what?And work for those Firangi bastards?crunch( sound of a McD's burger being enjoyed in the background).".
Then there's the classic "racial abuse" point,which is causing quite a stir(eh mate?).Well, all I can say is I am all too familiar with being called a "velle panni" here to take such things into account.
Accusations of greed dominating over sense of service to man and country are quite unfounded...as I said I hope to give back when I'm older.
Plus,the extraordinarily higher lever of education in "foreign" is quite a big draw for hopeful academicians such as yours truly.Over here,usually...
doubt=disrespect,
different idea=arrogance,
mistake=ridicule for life,
and other such axiomatic equations of our "wondraful" education system really limit one's space for growth.The rare exceptions are few and far in between(now that's lovely!).

Thus far, things are looking pretty pro-foreign for me.I resign myself to the inevitable glares and sniffs from those admirably patriotic(why does this sound like parrot to me?) people out there.I'd like to live for myself once in a way...
Totally yours(pls. note subtle change in accent),
Mukund.
p.s.NO CHOCOLATES FOR YOU UNCLE!!

3 comments:

  1. People are always so assuming ,they force their views on others whether you like it or not they take most of the things in one's life for granted(Like it or not you become a part of their life).
    About the education system *!@%#$!@%#^$@%&$@&$q^%$@&@$&*@% is all I can say.
    But then again you're better off elsewhere(no offence intended, just an opinion arising out of the hypocisy that exists and stands tall)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one - most amusing. As for the whole 'To go or Not to go' question......its up to you. Its not really such a big deal as our kith and kin make out. I'll give you my opinion. Going abroad will give you the opportunity to broaden your horizons (mentally). It'll help you get out of the 'Indian' way of thinking. You'll get ideas from all over the world. Certainly the teaching will be superior to what we have here. As for being unpatriotic......did you know, Kanti ma'am's son has been working in Germany all these years? There is nothing to stop us giving back to our motherland if we want to.
    One more point. I know you don't think much of our schooling system, but I think there will come a time when you think its not that bad after all. WE may go one extreme with the exams and marks but the other extreme of more freedom or whatever in class is not much good. The American system is excellent when it comes to the university level, but that same system fails miserably at school level. In a way, the Indian system has given us a thorough grounding and discipline which we don't appreciate enough. I'm not saying its a great system. There is definite room for improvement. But all in good time (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
  3. @shobhana: well it is true that their school system is bad , but USA is not the only option and besides going with the idea "the fittest will come through" at least you can come out of the system faster . And as Mukund has pointed out

    " doubt=disrespect,
    different idea=arrogance,
    mistake=ridicule for life "

    is what we get here . And I don't see what is so unpatriotic about going abroad , in fact you are telling the people over here that there is a better place out there ,which respects you .

    On the brighter side , our good grounding includes how to face hypocrites and those without any sort of self respect with over blown egos - sometimes I wonder where all that patience came from .

    @Mukund :- I wouldn't mind being called a brownie say in UK , than being called names in my home country . And besides college forms are a reminder to the fact that we brahmins are now seen with a lot of contempt . It is a shame really that our country seeks equality through discrimination .

    ReplyDelete